Acai (ah-sah’-ee) berries come from the Amazon and are considered a superfood. They are filled with antioxidants, which give it the dark blue-purple color. Antioxidants are crucial for neutralizing free radicals in our body that would otherwise break down our cells.
Acai is also rich in essential fatty acids (omega-3,6, and 9) nineteen of them, to be exact. EFAs are a healthy source of long-lasting energy for all of our body’s metabolic processes. They also support healthy brain function.
This recipe is a go-to for me for lots of reasons. In my former life I was an ice-cream-aholic. Now that I know better, I tend to turn to a rich acai bowl when I have a sweet tooth. They also make a great mid-day snack, and can even become a meal if you add enough to it.
- 2 Sambazon frozen acai packets
- 1/3 Cup almond milk
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/4 Cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 Cup granola
- 2 Tbs hemp seeds
- Drizzle of honey
- Start by adding the almond milk to your Vitamix
- Run the frozen acai under water for 5 seconds, then break into pieces into Vitamix
- Turn to high speed and use tamper to make sure all chunks are broken up. Use a spatula to pour contents into a large soup bowl.
- Top with sliced bananas, fresh berries, granola, hemp seeds and a drizzle of honey.
- Enjoy immediately, as the acai melts quickly.